The IBMT’s Annual General Meeting will take place on Saturday 5 October 2019 in the Marx Memorial Library, 37a Clerkenwell Green, London EC1R 0DU as part of a weekend programme of commemorative, educational and social events. All members are warmly invited to attend and take part.
Friday 4 October
• 6.45pm: Draw for the IBMT’s No Pasarán Raffle; in the Marx Memorial Library.
• 7pm-8.30pm: Exclusive screening of video footage of the Arcola Theatre’s acclaimed production of the musical ‘Goodbye Barcelona’ about the International Brigades; introduced by its co-writer Karl Lewkowicz; free; in the Marx Memorial Library.
Saturday 5 October
• 11am-12.30pm: Talks by Richard Baxell (author of ‘Unlikely Warriors: The Extraordinary Story of the Britons who Fought In the Spanish Civil War’) and Freddy Shaw (former East End GP and historian of the local Jewish volunteers) about the International Brigade volunteers from London; chaired by Meirian Jump, Marx Memorial Library Archivist & Library Manager; free; in the Marx Memorial Library.
• 2pm-4pm: The IBMT’s AGM in the Marx Memorial Library (see agenda and notice of elections below).
• 4.30pm-5.30pm: Screening of ‘Voices from a Mountain’ (David Leach, 2001), about British volunteers in the Spanish Civil War and the re-discovery of a memorial to members of the 15th Brigade killed at the Battle of the Ebro in the summer of 1938; free; in the Marx Memorial Library.
• From 6pm: Informal social and buffet upstairs at the Three Kings, 7 Clerkenwell Close, London EC1R 0DY; with open mic; £10 payable on the door.
Sunday 6 October
• 11am-1pm: Spanish Civil War history tour of the East End led by historian and guide David Rosenberg (author of ‘Rebel Footprints: A Guide to Uncovering London’s Radical History’ and co-editor of Jewish Socialist); meet at entrance to Shadwell DLR station and finish at Whitechapel tube station; £8 payable on the day; booking essential: email@example.com
(1) Chair’s opening remarks
(2) Apologies for absence
(3) Approval of minutes of the 2018 AGM and matters arising
(5) Financial report
(7) Any other business
(8) Date and place of next AGM
(9) Chair’s closing remarks
Notice of elections and AGM agenda items
Nominations are invited for candidates to fill five vacancies on the Executive Committee. Should five or more IBMT members accept nomination, a ballot will be held among members attending the AGM. Four vacancies arise because Megan Dobney, Christopher Hall, Charles Jepson, Jim Jump and Manuel Moreno will have completed their terms of office at the AGM. They must therefore step down and an election, in which they are permitted to stand, along with other IBMT members, will take place. The four elected members will serve for three years. In addition, Mary Greening has announced that she will be retiring from the Executive Committee at the AGM, one year before her term of office expires. She will be replaced by the candidate receiving the fifth highest number of votes in the ballot. This person will serve for one year.
All IBMT members may nominate fellow members to serve on the Executive Committee. Nominations must be made in writing and received by the Secretary (see below) by 8am on 16 September 2019. The names of candidates for election will be published on the IBMT website in advance of the AGM. Proposed items for agenda item (7) must be received in writing by the Secretary by 8am on 28 September 2019. Send nominations and proposed agenda items by email (these will be acknowledged) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: IBMT Secretary, 37a Clerkenwell Green, London EC1R 0DU.
Posted on 13 August 2019; updated on 15 September 2019 and 28 September 2019.