The Mary Elmes Bridge is named after the Spanish Civil War, who during the Second World War rescued Jewish children from being sent to Nazi concentration camps. It enables pedestrians to walk across the River Lee between St Patrick’s Quay and Merchants Quay. The bridge is pictured above being moved into position earlier this year.
Mary Elmes (1908-2002) studied in Dublin, London and Geneva, and in 1937 travelled to Spain. There she ran a Quaker children’s hospital in Alicante, which later transferred to a small mountain village to avoid fascist bombs. After two years she escaped with the last of the Spanish Republican refugees to France, where she remained during the Second World War.